Join a mission-based team in meaningful work to build a more sustainable future.
At Leanpath, we are a group of diverse and passionate technologists, sustainability experts, culinarians, and analysts who come together to achieve our vision each and every day: to ensure a sustainable future by eliminating global food waste.
Food waste is one of the biggest global challenges of our time. More than a third of the world’s food is lost or wasted annually. Coupled with rising global hunger and environmental harm, good waste is a tragic burden that devastates our communities and our planet.
Be a part of the solution. At Leanpath, we address food waste at its source, starting with the foundational premise that we manage the things that we measure. To uncover why food is being wasted and what we can do to prevent that waste from recurring, foodservice operations need data and insights. Leanpath has a unique, patented set of hardware that we have deployed globally in the fight against food waste.
We have an immediate opportunity for a Director of Finance & Controller to join the team. This executive role will work alongside the CEO as a strategic business partner and will be fully responsible for the financial, accounting, IT, business systems, and risk management operations of the company. Key responsibilities include assessing financial risks and opportunities, setting financial goals, objectives and budgets, and managing the organization’s finances and financial reporting.
- Strategic Oversight of Company Financials. Provides strategic recommendations to the CEO and members of the executive management team
- Strategy Team (ST) Member. Serves as a member of the senior leadership team, contributing to the overall strategic direction of the company.
- Accounting & Reporting. Actively leads the accounting function, including GL, AP, AR, Inventory (in conjunction with manufacturing), Month-end closing, payroll and associated Information Systems. Responsible for production of timely and accurate financial statements (monthly, quarterly, annually). Manages roll-up of US and foreign subsidiaries. Ensures compliance will all reporting requirements, and distributes financials to Board, investors and management as appropriate.
- Capital Formation & Corporate Development. Supports the CEO in managing capital formation activities, including arranging for debt or equity financing, investor relations, banking relationships, and M&A.
- Financial Planning & Analysis. Creates, monitors and refines financial plans. Establishes goals and KPIs per the strategic and financial plans. Leads the organization’s budgeting process; analyzes monthly and annual results compared to budget and prior year(s). Advises on long-term business and financial planning.
- Credit Management. Supervises AR function, assesses customer credit requests, manages receivables aging, drives collections in partnership with Account Management.
- Tax. Analyzes sales, VAT, and income tax compliance, establishes appropriate reporting and remittance systems in multiple US states and foreign countries. Coordinates with outside accounting firms to complete periodic filings for the US and foreign subsidiaries.
- Corporate Structure & Administration. Maintains corporate records, including capital table, Board minutes and By-Laws for parent and subsidiary entities. Manages set-up of new subsidiaries and filings in each jurisdiction.
- Revenue and Expense Controls. Meeting current revenue recognition requirements (via ASC 606), constructs and monitors reliable internal controls over cash, revenue and expenses, including mechanisms to audit billing accuracy v. performance, control travel and other direct costs. Manages a ZBB operating budget process and a capital expenditure approval process.
- Margin Analysis. Assesses margin by product line, produces client and project-level GM analyses, drives margin expansion initiatives.
- Equipment Lifecycle Planning. Develops and maintains measures to schedule replacement and renewal cycles for rental equipment at customer locations. Establishes and maintains appropriate warranty reserves.
- Risk Management. Oversees independent audit process with appointed CPA firm. Manages relationships with insurers, establishing appropriate risk transfer and risk mitigation strategies. Ensures compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements. Ensures that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and all government agencies.
- Treasury. Supervises cash management functions and bank reconciliations. Monitors cash balances and cash forecasts.
- Legal. Creates, updates, archives and monitors compliance with customer legal agreements including data security and privacy requirements. Assists in negotiations on custom agreements as needed. Supports CEO on corporate legal initiatives. Monitors all open legal issues involving the company, and legal issues affecting the industry.
- Supervision. Manages 3-5 direct reports; responsible for hiring and performance management of the Finance & Administration department.
Measures of Success
This role ensures that the company:
- Operates in accordance with the established cash runway model; owns performance, highlights variances, offers solutions, and drives course corrections.
- Meets gross margin targets; highlights variances, offers solutions, and drives change as needed.
- Operates efficiently at an SG&A level, with a ZBB process completed at least once a year.
- Manages risk intentionally with an ongoing risk model; takes all reasonable measures to ensure cost of risk management and mitigation meets budgeted targets.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- 10+ years of related experience managing financial and administrative operations
- Capital/equity raise experience, working with private equity firms and investment bankers
- Software-as-a-service and/or manufacturing vertical experience
- Software revenue recognition experience
- Prior management of foreign subsidiaries
- Prior experience using Salesforce and NetSuite
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP and IFRC compliance
- CPA certification
More about Leanpath & Our Culture
Founded in 2004, we created the food waste measurement & technology industry. We’ve been recognized by our customers and the industry with awards including vendor and support team of the year awards from client partners Google and Sodexo, “Sustainability Initiative of the Year” award from Food Matters Live, and the “Technology for Good” award from the Global Good Awards UK, among others.
Our team is connected through our core values, which are woven into our culture: drive and productivity, excellence, equity, humility, kindness and inclusion, and teamwork. We believe that diversity of team members and diversity of experiences makes us stronger. We support one another in becoming our best selves, and in bringing our whole selves to work. We actively seek out the best talent, regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religious background, gender or gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We offer our team members a flexible work environment with mostly remote working (some in-person meetings required). We fully pay for the employee’s health, vision, and dental insurance (with options to add family at your expense). We believe in health and balance and offer unlimited time off to recharge. We also have short- and long-term disability and a 401K program. Most importantly, we offer the opportunity to contribute to very meaningful work and solutions for our planet surrounded by kind and like-minded people.
Join us. It’s time to make an impact on one of the world's most pressing sustainability challenges.